Committed to Excellence
Grand Rapids Criminal Defense Attorneys
Defense for Criminal Accusations in West MI
Being charged with a crime, whether a misdemeanor or felony, is a serious matter. Even if you are not facing jail time, having a criminal conviction on your record will limit your opportunities for employment, housing, and more. The first thing you need to do after an arrest is find a skilled Grand Rapids criminal defense attorney.
Anything you say after an arrest can be used against you, so do not try to talk to the police without an attorney present. One of your most valuable rights is the right to remain silent. Law enforcement does not want to hear your side of the story, they are listening for any inconsistencies in your story that will make you look guilty. The Grand Rapids criminal defense lawyers at Tanis Schultz are here to fight for your rights and protect your best interests.
If you have been charged with a crime, contact our criminal defense attorney in Grand Rapids, MI today at (616) 227-3737.
Criminal Charges We Defend Against in Michigan
Your Grand Rapids criminal attorney has one job: protect your best interests. No matter what crime you are accused of, it is your lawyer’s duty to secure the best possible outcome. This is why it is strongly recommended that you not discuss the details of your situation with anyone other than your attorney. Even well-meaning friends and family members can end up incriminating you if called to testify. Prosecutors know how to press on ambiguous issues with witnesses and cast doubt upon a defendant’s innocence. By keeping the details private and speaking only with your lawyer, you can prevent this from happening.
Cases our Grand Rapids criminal defense attorneys handle include:
- Criminal Sexual Conduct
- Domestic Violence
- Driver’s License Restoration
- Drug Offenses
- Juvenile Crimes
- Property Crimes
- Resisting and Obstructing
- Weapons Crimes
Misdemeanor Criminal Procedure in Michigan
The defendant may be given a chance to enter a guilty or no-contest plea. Those who enter a guilty or no contest plea at the arraignment may be sentenced at this time or the case will be sent to a sentence hearing. If a sentence hearing is set, the court may ask for a pre-sentence report from the probation department. This report will give background information and recommendations regarding the type of sentence. On the other hand, the case will go to a pre-trial conference if a not-guilty plea is entered.
During a pre-trial conference, the case and resolutions for the case are discussed. Typically, the prosecutor will offer a “plea bargain” to the defendant as a resolution. The plea bargain can be accepted or the judge will decide on a verdict. The prosecutor may drop the charges if the defense attorney has a strong enough case.
If the charges are not dropped by the prosecutor at this stage and a resolution is not agreed upon, pretrial motions may be filed by the criminal defense attorney:
- Motion to dismiss the charge if undisputed evidence shows no crime committed
- Motion to exclude irrelevant evidence
- Motion to suppress illegally obtained evidence
If the case is not resolved through these motions, it will be set for a bench or jury trial.
Why You Need a Skilled Criminal Defense Attorney
When facing criminal charges, it is crucial to have a skilled criminal defense attorney by your side. Here at Tanis Schultz, we understand the complexities of the legal system and are committed to providing excellent defense representation for our clients in Grand Rapids, MI.
Here are some reasons why you need a skilled criminal defense attorney:
- Knowledge and Experience: Our team of experienced attorneys has a deep understanding of criminal law and the legal processes involved. We have successfully handled numerous criminal defense cases and can navigate the complexities of your case with expertise.
- Protect Your Rights: A skilled attorney will ensure that your constitutional rights are protected throughout the entire legal process. We will thoroughly investigate your case, gather evidence, and challenge any violations of your rights, such as illegal searches or coerced confessions.
- Strategic Defense: Every case is unique, and a skilled attorney will develop a tailored defense strategy based on the specific circumstances of your case. We will analyze the evidence, interview witnesses, and build a strong defense to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
- Negotiation and Advocacy: Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and can work with prosecutors to potentially reduce charges or secure favorable plea bargains. If your case goes to trial, we will vigorously advocate for your rights and present a compelling defense in front of the judge and jury.
- Peace of Mind: Facing criminal charges can be incredibly stressful and overwhelming. Having a skilled attorney by your side can provide you with peace of mind, knowing that you have a dedicated advocate fighting for your rights and working towards the best possible outcome for your case.
Don't risk your future and freedom. Contact Tanis Schultz today to schedule a consultation with a skilled criminal defense attorney who will protect your rights and provide you with the strong defense you deserve.
Representation for Your Criminal Case in Michigan
At Tanis Schultz, our Grand Rapids criminal defense lawyers fight aggressively to secure the best possible outcome. What this looks like is different for everyone. Some clients can secure a complete dismissal of charges, while others might have serious felonies reduced to misdemeanors. We work closely with our clients through every stage of the case, making sure they understand how their case is proceeding to help our clients make informed decisions.
Contact our criminal defense attorneys in Grand Rapids, MI today!
- Fighting Retail Fraud Charges in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Michigan's Domestic Violence Third Offense Charge Explained
- Michigan Law Changes Minor in Possession to a Civil Infraction
- Criminal Sexual Conduct in Michigan
Is probation different from parole?
A probationary period is different from a parole period. Parole is a shorter period of time in jail than probation, while probation takes the place of prison. You can suspend your jail time on probation if you comply with certain conditions. Checking in regularly with a probation officer, attending rehab programs, and attending work/school are some examples of these terms. People who have already served a portion of their jail sentence can apply for parole to complete their sentence outside of jail.
Do I need a criminal lawyer if I just plan on pleading guilty?
Yes. Regardless of how you wish to plead, it is extremely important that you have a legal advocate on your side to ensure that your rights are protected throughout the duration of your case. It is never a good idea for an accused person to forego legal representation and attempt to represent themselves in court. With so much at stake, and with experienced prosecutors seeking the highest possible penalties for the accused, it is not worth the risk not to hire an attorney. An experienced lawyer can help you seek the most favorable resolution for your situation, whether that means pursuing a lighter sentence or a complete dismissal of charges.
Should I talk to the police after an arrest?
No! It is important to politely decline to answer any questions, remain silent, and consult with an attorney as soon as possible after your arrest. Remember that everything you say to police can and will be used to build a case against you, so don't provide any statements to police without first speaking with a lawyer.
When defending your case, you may need to answer the following questions:
Your attorney will be able to formulate an appropriate defense for you based on the answers to these and other case-specific questions. A plea deal may be presented to you once your case is fully evaluated and any necessary investigation is completed. To make sure that you can make the best decision, you should discuss any deal proposed by the prosecution at length with your attorney.
Tanis Schultz is here to be your dedicated ally through this difficult time. Contact us today.
“You can tell she really knows her stuff and will help you with all she’s got to offer every case, every time!” - M.H.
“Without this office's expert advice, professionalism, attention to detail, and preparation, I would still be disabled without benefits.” - A.
“They are clearly dedicated to their clients. I would highly recommend them!” - B.L.
Track Record of Success
The Tanis Schultz Difference
- Our attorneys have over 50 years of combined experience handling various areas of the law with precision.
- When you hire one of our experienced attorneys you get an entire team!
- We are a professional law firm that provides a competitive advantage and the experience to address your legal issues.
- Our attorneys have experience handling high-profile, complex cases with complete success.