Committed to Excellence
Grand Rapids Theft Crime Lawyer
Defending Against Theft Charges in Michigan
At Tanis Schultz, our legal team understands the complexities of theft crime cases in Michigan. If you or a loved one are facing theft charges, having a dedicated and knowledgeable attorney by your side who can provide experienced guidance and a strong defense strategy is essential. Tanis Schultz is dedicated to safeguarding your rights and securing the best possible result for your case.
Call Tanis Schultz today at (616) 227-3737 or contact us to schedule a consultation with our theft crime attorney in Grand Rapids.
What is Theft?
Theft, often referred to as larceny, is a criminal offense involving the unlawful taking of another individual's property with the intent to permanently deprive them of it. Theft can encompass various actions, from shoplifting and burglary to embezzlement and fraud. In Michigan, theft crimes are classified into several categories based on the value of the stolen property and the specific circumstances surrounding the offense.
What are the Penalties for Theft Crimes in Michigan?
The penalties for theft crimes in Michigan differ depending on the value of the stolen property and the defendant's criminal history. Generally, theft offenses are classified as either misdemeanors or felonies.
- Misdemeanor Theft: Misdemeanor theft typically involves property theft with a value below a certain threshold. For first-time offenders, the penalties may include fines, restitution to the victim, probation, community service, and potentially a short jail sentence. It's important to note that repeat offenses can lead to more severe consequences.
- Felony Theft: Felony theft involves property theft with a higher value or certain aggravating factors. Felony theft convictions can result in substantial fines, longer prison sentences, and a permanent criminal record. Additionally, a felony conviction can have far-reaching implications on your life, including employment, housing, and personal relationships.
Defenses Against Theft Charges
Being charged with a theft doesn't automatically mean a conviction is imminent. At Tanis Schultz, our experienced Grand Rapids theft crime lawyers meticulously examine every detail of your case to develop a strong defense strategy tailored to your unique situation. Some potential defenses against theft charges include:
- Lack of Intent: To prove theft, the prosecution has to demonstrate that you intended to deprive the owner of their property. If there is evidence suggesting a misunderstanding or lack of intent, this can be a strong defense.
- Mistaken Identity: Individuals are sometimes wrongly accused due to mistaken identity. We work to gather evidence that supports your alibi or shows you were not present at the alleged crime scene.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If law enforcement obtained evidence through an illegal search or seizure, we can challenge the admissibility of that evidence in court, which could weaken the prosecution's case.
- Duress or Necessity: These defenses might apply if you were forced to commit the theft under threats or coercion or believed you had no other choice due to extreme circumstances.
- Insufficient Evidence: The prosecution must meet a heightened burden of proof to secure a conviction. If there is insufficient evidence linking you to the crime, we can work to have the charges reduced or dismissed.
Contact Our Theft Crimes Attorney in Grand Rapids Today
Facing theft charges can be overwhelming, but you don't have to navigate the legal system alone. At Tanis Schultz, our dedicated team of legal professionals is committed to protecting your rights, advocating for your best interests, and securing the most favorable outcome possible for your case. When you choose Tanis Schultz as your legal representation, you can expect personalized attention, strategic advocacy, and unwavering support from start to finish. We believe everyone deserves a fair defense and are here to fight for you.
Contact Tanis Schultz today to get started with our Grand Rapids theft crime lawyer.
“You can tell she really knows her stuff and will help you with all she’s got to offer every case, every time!” - M.H.
“Without this office's expert advice, professionalism, attention to detail, and preparation, I would still be disabled without benefits.” - A.
“They are clearly dedicated to their clients. I would highly recommend them!” - B.L.
Track Record of Success
The Tanis Schultz Difference
- Our attorneys have over 50 years of combined experience handling various areas of the law with precision.
- When you hire one of our experienced attorneys you get an entire team!
- We are a professional law firm that provides a competitive advantage and the experience to address your legal issues.
- Our attorneys have experience handling high-profile, complex cases with complete success.